Published on November 10th, 2022 | by Alex Novus
Latest Indie World Showcase Unveils A Fresh Wave Of Indie Games Coming To Nintendo Switch In 2022 And Beyond
Today, Nintendo released a new Indie World showcase, revealing a diverse line-up of more than 20 new indie games coming to Nintendo Switch in 2022 and beyond. The presentation included the announcement that the much-anticipated sports RPG Sports Story will release on Nintendo Switch this December.
Other highlights included the beautifully handcrafted adventure Aka, in which players take on the role of a retired warrior aiming to find inner peace on an isolated island paradise, launching for Nintendo Switch on 15th December; wholesome puzzler A Little to the Left, which is available now, and challenges players to sort, stack and organise household objects into the perfect arrangement – despite the disruptive influence of a mischievous cat; and Rogue Legacy 2, the acclaimed sequel to the beloved genealogical rogue-lite, available now on Nintendo Switch.
To view the Indie World video in its entirety, visit Indie World Showcase – 10/11/2022 (Nintendo Switch).
See below for more detailed information regarding the featured games:
- Venba from Visai Games: Get a taste of this wholesome narrative cooking game, in which you’ll help an Indian mother, who has recently immigrated to Canada, reconnect with her heritage by cooking a variety of mouth-watering South Indian dishes. Experience a story of love and loss through branching conversations, try to restore lost family recipes and bop along to a soundtrack inspired by Indian musicals. Venba comes to Nintendo Switch in autumn 2023.
- GOODBYE WORLD from ISOLATION STUDIO and PM Studios, Inc.: GOODBYE WORLD follows the story of Kanii and Kumade, two friends and indie game developers striving to find the perfect idea for their next game. Watch their story develop as you play through stages of a retro-inspired puzzle platformer while following their day-to-day struggles. Will their friendship be able to take the strain of these challenges? GOODBYE WORLD launches on Nintendo Switch later this month.
- Have a Nice Death from Magic Design Studios and Gearbox Publishing: Don the robes of Death Incorporated’s CEO – Death himself – in this hand-drawn 2D action roguelike game. Explore the darkly charming, procedurally generated departments of the corporation’s headquarters, and use an arsenal of weapons, spells and special curses in your mission to round up the rogue employees who have been snatching up too many souls on Earth. Have a Nice Death launches for Nintendo Switch on 22nd March 2023. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- Aka from Cosmo Gatto and Neowiz: Take on the role of the retired warrior Aka in this top-down small open-world game, and aim to find inner peace on an isolated island paradise. In handcrafted islands covered in majestic mountains, dense tropical forests and inviting hot springs, Aka can nurture flora and fauna, build a shelter, craft items or even feed baby dragons. Different quests await to ultimately meet the ghosts of Aka’s past. Aka washes up on Nintendo Switch on 15th December.
- Pepper Grinder from Ahr Ech and Devolver Digital: Shipwrecked and robbed, treasure hunter Pepper must spin up her trusty drill Grinder to reclaim what was stolen from her in this spicy action-adventure game. Cruise through a colourfully animated world with fluid drilling and thrilling leaps. Chew through the terrain with Grinder and unlock new drill bits to ramp up the chaos and solve clever puzzles. Collect treasure and other riches, then cash them in to pep up Pepper, open up new paths on the world map, and snag collectible figures for your gallery. Pepper Grinder launches for Nintendo Switch in 2023.
- Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly from Toge Productions and Chorus Worldwide Games: The coffee-brewing, narrative-driven visual novel is back for a second episode! As the barista of your own late-night coffee shop, you’ll meet quirky characters – not all of them human –listen to their stories and get to know them. There’s the right brew for each customer, latte art to dazzle them and even secret recipes to warm their hearts. Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly pours onto Nintendo Switch next autumn.
- ONI: Road to be the Mightiest Oni from KENEI DESIGN and Clouded Leopard Entertainment: Take on the role of a vengeful demon warrior in this spirited 3D action-adventure game. After his defeat at the hands of a Japanese folktale hero, Kuuta travels to a small island where he joins forces with the spirit Kazemaru. Ancient demons lurk within vast meadows and lush forests. To defeat them, you’ll control both characters simultaneously using a single Joy-Con controller. Wield Kuuta’s club to attack demons, then summon Kazemaru to draw out their spirits. Oni: Road to be the Mightiest Oni launches for Nintendo Switch on 9th March 2023.
- Desta: The Memories Between from ustwo games: From the creators of Monument Valley comes a character-driven rogue-like, featuring an immersive story, strategic turn-based tactics, as well as dodgeball action. Every night, when Desta falls asleep, they enter a mysterious dreamworld filled with scattered memories of long forgotten locations and faces from days gone by. During their slumber, Desta uses powerful orbs to play a surreal turn-based ball game which can change the course of conversations. Desta: The Memories Between launches on Nintendo Switch early next year.
- A Space for the Unbound from Mojiken, Toge Productions and Chorus Worldwide Games: A slice-of-life adventure game with beautiful pixel art set in late ‘90s rural Indonesia, A Space for the Unbound tells a story about the relationship between a boy and a girl with supernatural powers. When a mysterious power threatens their existence, they must explore their town to uncover hidden secrets, face the end of the world, and perhaps learn more about each other. A Space for the Unbound launches on Nintendo Switch on 19th January 2023.
- Dordogne from Un Je Ne Sais Quoi, Umanimation and Focus Entertainment: In this immersive narrative experience you’ll play as Mimi, a girl who spent all of her childhood summers in the Dordogne region of France. Now Mimi returns to the home of her late grandmother, who has left behind a series of letters and lost family secrets to be uncovered. Play in both the past and the present – skip through the French countryside as 10-year-old Mimi, while exploring her grandmother’s house in the present. Discover the close relationship between grandmother and granddaughter, as you collect photos, objects and words to fill Mimi’s journal and keep her precious memories alive. Dordogne launches on Nintendo Switch in autumn 2023.
- Botany Manor from Balloon Studios and Whitethorn Games: Take on the role of Arabella Green, a retired botanist who owns a historical manor in the 19th century. Arabella takes care of the manor’s magnificent gardens by solving plant-based puzzles and preserving a collection of forgotten flora. Inspecting the manor will show clues, newspaper clippings, letters and more to help Arabella’s gardening skills blossom while you’re learning more about her. Botany Manor blooms onto Nintendo Switch next year.
- Once Upon a Jester from Bonte Avond and Crunching Koalas: Best friends Sok and Jester have devised a mischievous scheme to steal a Royal Diamond. But their plan hinges on receiving an invitation to join the famous Royal Theatrical Spectacle. They’ll have to improvise their way to fame and outperform every other act they encounter on the road. Their wacky, whimsical journey leads them across a fantasy kingdom full of silly characters and even sillier spectacles. Once Upon a Jester is available now on Nintendo Switch.
- Rogue Legacy 2 from Cellar Door Games: Anyone can be a hero in this sequel to the beloved rogue-lite game where the adventure changes with every playthrough. Whether you’re a lute-playing bard with vertigo, or a colourblind knight, your goals are the same – gather countless riches, build up your castle and ensure your legacy. All your upgrades carry over to your heirs and each new successor wields their own personal traits and abilities. The Nintendo Switch version also includes the Fabled Heroes update, adding a ton of new content, including dozens of new sub-classes and items. Rogue Legacy 2 is available now on Nintendo Switch.
- Blanc from Casus Ludi and Gearbox Publishing: In the spectacular, monochrome world of Blanc, a fawn and a wolf cub must learn to rely on each other in order to find their way home. Throughout this co-op adventure, the unlikely friends must coordinate and use their individual strengths to navigate obstacles among the frosty terrain. Blanc is a completely text-free story with local* and online co-op play**, making it inviting for everyone to enjoy. Blanc launches as a console exclusive on Nintendo Switch on 15th February 2023. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- A Little to the Left from MAX INFERNO and SECRET MODE: A Little to the Left is a cosy puzzle game in which players organise household objects into satisfying arrangements. A mischievous cat who likes to shake things up will appear from time to time to make a mess of any beautifully organised objects. There are more than 75 delightful puzzles to discover, many of which have multiple solutions. A Little to the Left is out now on Nintendo Switch.
- Sports Story from Sidebar Games: In this all-out sporting RPG, you’ll rise through the ranks of the sports world and prove your prowess on the golf course, tennis court and football pitch. By raising your sporting rank you’ll unlock even more disciplines including BMX, volleyball, cricket and more. But the game isn’t just about sports – hop on a train or helicopter to explore dungeons, abandoned ruins and the mysterious Wildlands, or kick back at the mall with its daily attractions, specialty sports stores and mini games. Sports Story launches on Nintendo Switch this December.
This Indie World presentation also included a montage of yet more indie games on the horizon for Nintendo Switch, including WrestleQuest, the ultimate pro wrestling adventure in which RPG and pro wrestling combine for the very first time, launching in May 2023; Wobbledogs Console Edition, a casual 3D pet simulation sandbox, in which players care for their own personal collection of wobbly, mutating dogs, releasing on 18th November with pre-orders available now on Nintendo eShop; Storyteller, an award-winning reactive puzzler in which players must use their wits to retell iconic tales, releasing on 23rd March 2023 as a console launch-exclusive; WORLD OF HORROR, a 1-bit roguelite horror RPG that pits players against eldritch mysteries and malevolent legends of Japanese folklore, creeping up in winter 2023; Curse of the Sea Rats, an epic, hand-animated, story-rich action adventure featuring swashbuckling pirate rats, launching in early 2023; and, last but not least, the critically-acclaimed Inscryption, which blends the genres of deckbuilding roguelike, escape-room-style puzzle and psychological horror into an inky black odyssey, and releases on 2nd December.
The library of indie games on Nintendo Switch continues to grow, with the latest Indie World presentation showcasing more than 20 titles coming to the platform in 2022 and beyond. Highlights of the presentation included the announcements that Sports Story and Aka will both launch for Nintendo Switch in December, along with the news that A Little to the Left, Once Upon a Jester and Rogue Legacy 2 are all available now.