Today at Intel’s “AI Everywhere” event, the company launched its Intel® Core™ Ultra mobile processors that deliver reimagined power efficiency, world-class compute and graphics performance and the best AI PC experience1 to mobile platforms and out to the edge. Available globally on-shelf and online starting today, new Intel Core Ultra mobile processors will power more than 230 of the world’s first AI PCs from partners including Acer, ASUS, Dell, Dynabook, Gigabyte, Google Chromebook, HP, Lenovo, LG, Microsoft Surface, MSI and Samsung.
Published on December 15th, 2023 | by Adrian Gunning
Intel Core Ultra Ushers in the Age of the AI PC
“The launch of Intel Core Ultra represents the unmatched scale and speed at which Intel is enabling AI on the PC. By 2028, AI PCs will comprise 80% of the PC market and together with our vast ecosystem of hardware and software partners, Intel is best positioned to deliver this next generation of computing.”
Why It Matters: Whether you’re working, learning, streaming, gaming or creating on-the-go, people need more performance and battery life out of their PCs while taking full advantage of the AI capabilities that are increasingly present in operating systems and applications. The AI PC represents a new generation of personal computers to meet this demand. With dedicated AI acceleration capability spread across the central processing unit (CPU), graphics processing unit (GPU) and neural processing unit (NPU) architectures, Intel Core Ultra is the most AI-capable and power-efficient client processor in Intel’s history.
The AI PC experience is only as strong as the enabled software. As part of Intel’s AI PC Acceleration Program, more than 100 independent software vendors (ISVs) and more than 300 AI-accelerated features will be uniquely optimized for Intel Core Ultra processors – that is three times more AI apps and frameworks than any competing silicon vendor3.
Beyond the PC, Intel Core Ultra also delivers power-efficient AI acceleration at the edge, supporting demanding visual workloads and driving innovation across a range of vertical markets including healthcare, retail and manufacturing.
What It Does: Intel Core Ultra is the first processor built on the Intel 4 process technology and represents the company’s largest architectural shift in 40 years. It uses Foveros 3D advanced packaging technology, allowing advanced intellectual properties (IPs) to match leading-edge processes to optimize performance and capability. New Performance-core (P-core) architecture brings improved instructions per cycle (IPC). And new Efficient-cores (E-cores) and low-power Efficient-cores (LP E-cores) provide scalable, multi-threaded performance of up to 11% over the competition to deliver leadership CPU compute for ultrathin PCs4.
Intel Core Ultra offers a built-in Intel® Arc™ GPU3 that features up to eight Xe-cores, AI-based Xe Super Sampling (XeSS), DX12 Ultimate support, and up to double the graphics performance over the previous generation5 The GPU includes support for modern graphics features including hardware-accelerated ray tracing, mesh shading, AV1 encode and decode, HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.1 20G.
Intel’s newest NPU, branded Intel® AI Boost, is purpose-built to handle longer-running AI workloads at low power, and it complements AI handled on both the CPU and GPU, enabling 2.5x better power efficiency than the previous generation6.
The new processor family also offers:
- Up to 16 cores (six P-cores, eight E-cores, two LP E-cores), 22 threads and next-generation Intel® Thread Director for optimal workload scheduling.
- Up to 5.1 gigahertz (GHz) maximum turbo frequency.
- Up to 64 gigabytes (GB) LP5/x and up to 96 GB DDR5 maximum memory capacity.
- Leading wireless features including integrated Intel® Wi-Fi 6E (Gig+) and support for discrete Intel® Wi-Fi 77 (5 Gig) for multi-gigabit speeds in more locations, wired-like responsiveness and extreme reliability.
- Intel® Killer™ software for intelligent connection optimization and network traffic prioritization for gamer and creator applications.
- Intel® Bluetooth® LE Audio to enable low-power, immersive, high-fidelity PC sonic experiences and support for new Bluetooth® Auracast™ capabilities for broadcast audio tuning, personal audio sharing, and enhanced accessibility for hearing aids and new assisted listening services.
- Blazing connection speeds of 40 gigabits per second (Gbps) with Thunderbolt™ 4 providing PC connectivity to multiple 4K monitors, fast storage and other accessories.
- OpenVINO™ toolkits support with minimal code changes and automatic device detection enhances AI performance by routing workloads to the right compute engine and streamlined workflow with ONNX and ONNX Runtime for faster inferencing.
About Intel Evo Edition Powered by Intel Core Ultra: Intel® Evo™ edition laptops continue to deliver the best overall laptop experience8 with no-compromise mobile performance, intelligent collaboration and a multidevice experience through Intel® Unison™. The newest Intel Evo edition laptops will feature the new badge and offer:
- Cooler, quieter performance and responsiveness.
- Increased power efficiency for 10+ hours of real-world battery life on full high-definition designs9.
- Instant wake and fast charging.
- Enhanced video effects, including Windows Studio Effects.
- High-quality cameras meeting the VCX camera metric.
- New Intel Unison premium features extending the PC to any tablet or phone.
- Minimum of EPEAT silver certification for responsible and sustainable PC design.
- Intel® connectivity software for intelligent connection optimization and network traffic prioritization for standard user productivity, collaboration and entertainment.
Additionally, the Engineered for Intel Evo program ensures accessories meet strict performance requirements for a seamless PC experience. This year, the program extends its list of industry partners bringing to market new Bluetooth LE Audio and hearing aid accessories, Thunderbolt docks, monitors, storage, Bluetooth headsets, mice, keyboard and access points.
What’s Next: Consumer devices powered by Intel Core Ultra mobile processors are available starting today, with commercial devices built on the Intel vPro® platform coming soon.
More: Intel Core Ultra Processors (Press Kit) | Intel Accelerates AI Everywhere with Launch of Powerful Next-Gen Products | ‘AI Everywhere’ 2023 (Event Press Kit) | Intel’s ‘AI Everywhere’ Event (Event Replay)
The Small Print:
1 Based on the broad compatibility, extensive software options, unique architecture, and impressive performance of Intel® Core™ Ultra processors that combine to deliver the best overall AI experience, including in comparison to competition processors (as of December 2023). AI features may require additional purchase or specific compatibility requirements. See intel.com/performanceindex for details. Results may vary.
2 Source: Boston Consulting Group.
3 Based on public AI software roadmap releases and/or comments from AMD, Qualcomm and Intel as of 09 September, 2023
4 As of December 2023, among processors powering ultrathin systems (<28W processor base power, without discrete GPU), based on SPECrate*2017_int_base (n-copy) estimates of Intel® Core™ Ultra 7 165H, including in comparison to 13th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1370P (with compiler ICX 2023.2.3), AMD Ryzen 7 7840U (with compiler ICX 2023.2.3), Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen 3 (with compiler 1.1.8 clang 14), & Apple M3 (with compiler using Xcode 15, gfortran 12.1.0); as of December 2023. Performance varies by use, configuration and other details. end
5 Based on Intel Core Ultra 7 165H performance with built in Intel Arc GPU . Details at intel.com/performanceindex.
6 As measured by Perf/Watt on UL Procyon AI benchmark while running an int8 model on Intel Core Ultra 7 165H NPU vs. Intel Core i7-1370P GPU. See www.intel.com/PerformanceIndex for workloads and configurations. Results may vary.
7 While Wi-Fi 7 is backward compatible with previous generations, new Wi-Fi 7 features require PCs configured with Intel Wi-Fi 7 solutions, vendor enabling, operating system support, and use with appropriate Wi-Fi 7 routers/APs/gateways. 6 GHz Wi-Fi 7 may not be available in all regions. For more information, please visit https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-7.
8 Based on unique features of Intel Evo designs such as high performing Intel® Core™ Ultra CPUs, premium components, unmatched compatibility, and the latest connectivity solutions in sleek innovative designs (as of December 2023). All Intel Evo branded designs must meet demanding thresholds for key mobile user experiences like responsiveness and battery life; individual device performance may vary. See www.intel.com/Performance-Evo for details.
9 Based on verified real-world battery life of Intel Evo designs while performing typical workflows in a realistic environment within average daily usage scenarios. Individual system results may vary. See www.intel.com/Performance-Evo for details.