Published on November 24th, 2022 | by Adrian Gunning
DIRTY DANCING: THE IMMERSIVE CINEMA EXPERIENCE – RETURNS TO MELBOURNE APRIL 2023
One of the biggest cultural sensations in recent years is on its way back. The Mushroom Group’s Immersive Cinema, in collaboration with Lionsgate, is excited to announce the highly anticipated return of its ground-breaking Dirty Dancing immersive cinema event series, exclusively in Melbourne.
After a sold-out season in early 2019, Dirty Dancing: The Immersive Cinema Experience will be re-opening for one weekend only at Flemington Racecourse on Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd April 2023.
With limited tickets available, fans are encouraged to be quick once the event goes on sale to the general public on Wednesday 30th November. Sessions are strictly limited and expected to sell out.
Lucky guests will step back in time to 1963 and enter the world of the classic ‘80s smash, experiencing life-size re-creations of the iconic Kellerman’s Resort, surrounded by walkaround characters, locations, music and dancing that made the original movie so beloved. Enjoy arts & crafts, sports, and dance lessons or simply relax in the salon while you interact with performers and dancers, as the movie unfolds around you in real-time.
Guests are encouraged to not only step into the world of Dirty Dancing but become part of the narrative. From the Gazebo to the Staff Quarters to the Dance Studio and Golf Course; guests will have the time of their lives. Kellerman’s is a technology-free resort, so guests will be asked to keep their smartphones bagged to allow themselves to get fully swept away in the atmosphere of ‘63.
Unwind with a cocktail or one of the many Americana dining options. When the sun sets, grab some popcorn and relive one of the greatest love stories on the big screen under the stars.
“As someone who still carries a watermelon for Johnny (and wouldn’t even dream of putting Baby in a corner) the thought of time travelling back to the summer of ‘63 sounded pretty peachy. From the moment we walked in, it was like we stepped right into the real Kellerman’s Resort, with classic cars, friendly games of badminton, sassy staff and impromptu dance lessons happening on the gazebo. We had so much fun sneaking into the staff quarters with Baby, Billy and the gang…it was a super fun (and super accurate) tribute to a classic film. Bravo!” – Time Out Melbourne (Rebecca Russo)
“This was just beyond brilliant! Amazing staff, excellent sets…everything exceeded all my expectations” – Cass Drew
“Went last night. Hands down best event I have ever attended. Attention to detail awesome. Phone free was a fabulous indulgence. Loved every second!” – Jade Wisely
“What a fabulous immersive experience we had! The entire production was brilliant. The grounds, the dancers, actors, movie experience and management were fantastic. Thank you for giving us the time of our lives!” – Louisa Di Pietro
KELLERMAN’S RESORT TIPS & TRICKS:
- Enter the gates (5pm – 10pm) and it’s 1963 – follow the dress code! Dresses, cardigans, summer shirts and slacks. Comfy shoes for dancing. Dressing up is HIGHLY encouraged.
- Expect activities to keep you busy for hours; from sports to crafts to dancing. Hotel Staff will be on hand to show guests the ropes or just feel free to roam the grounds and visit all the iconic locations… staff quarters are, naturally, off limits.
- Take note: Just like in 1963, Kellerman’s is a technology-free resort – smartphones will be bagged on entry.
- Hungry? Expect the finest in American food – visit a recreation of the famous Kellerman’s Diner. Delicious cocktails, world class wines, boutique beers and ciders will also be available all evening long.
- Grab your popcorn as the sun sets; at 8.30pm the big screen will come alight with one of history’s most adored romantic movies of all time, screening under the stars.
Check out immersivecinema.com.au for all the event info.
Tickets are on sale to the general public on Wednesday 30 November. Immersive Cinema presents Dirty Dancing: The Immersive Cinema Experience this April. Don’t miss out!
DIRTY DANCING: THE IMMERSIVE CINEMA EXPERIENCE
MELBOURNE – Flemington Racecourse
SATURDAY 1 APRIL & SUNDAY 2 APRIL
Presented by Immersive Cinema
Runs: Monday 28 November (10am AEDT)
Ends: Tuesday 29 November (5pm AEDT)
or ends earlier if pre-sale allocation exhausted
GENERAL PUBLIC ON SALE
Begins: Wednesday 30 November (10am AEDT)