Published on April 15th, 2019 | by admin
2019 Melbourne International Comedy Festival Awards
Nominee announcement for the 2019 Melbourne International Comedy Festival awards will be made at 10.30am on Tuesday 16 April. 2019 will mark the 22nd annual awards for the Festival that recognise excellence and creativity across the program’s 615 events.
- The Melbourne International Comedy Festival Award for the most outstanding show.
- The Best Newcomer Award will be awarded to a solo performer or group of performers doing their first Festival show.
- The People’s Choice Award will be awarded to the most popular show of the Festival as determined by the ticket buying public.
- The Directors’ Choice Award will be Awarded by the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Director in consultation with other visiting festival program directors.
- The Pinder Prize honours Festival co-founder John Pinder, one of Australian comedy’s most influential producers and biggest fans.
- The Golden Gibbo is awarded in memory of the late, great Lynda Gibson and will be awarded to a local, independent show that pursues the artists’ idea more than it pursues commercial gain.
- The Piece of Wood, comics’ choice award, is selected by past winners and will be presented to a peer literally for “doin’ good stuff ‘n’ that”.
- The Funny Tonne will go to the person who saw the most Festival shows and wrote the most reviews.
Formerly known as the Stella Award and then the Barry Award, the Melbourne International Comedy Festival Award will continue to celebrate the most outstanding show of the Festival.
“Melbourne International Comedy Festival is one of the world’s greatest comedy festivals and it is time for the award for most outstanding show to be in our name to celebrate the city that inspired the growth of our Festival and its outstanding artists,” said Festival Director Susan Provan.
Nominees will be announced at 10.30am on Tuesday 16 April 2019.
Award winners will be announced at 1pm on Saturday 20 April 2019.
The Festival closes on Sunday 21 April 2019.