Published on June 10th, 2020 | by Damien Straker
UNIVERSAL PICTURES HEADS BACK TO CINEMA ON A HIGH NOTE
As cinemas plan to re-open their doors for business, Universal Pictures is excited to announce it will celebrate its return to cinema by offering consumers a wide selection of films releasing from July 9, including the two highly anticipated films The High Note and The King of Staten Island.
Also among the newly announced slate of films is Australian film Babyteeth releasing in cinemas on July 23rd. The film premiered at the Venice Film Festival in 2019 to stunning reviews and Universal is thrilled to unveil the film to Australian audiences in cinemas.
According to a consumer survey conducted by Event Cinemas of over 20,000 cinema goers, 98% are eager to return to the cinema, and Universal has scheduled a diverse slate of films so audiences can once again be completely immersed in high quality content on the big screen.
The selection of films will be available in the immediate corridor once cinemas re-open, ensuring there will be something for everyone. From a highly polished flick for the girls, quality arthouse cinema, clever comedies and family films, all tastes will be catered for.
Universal Pictures slate of films from July to September:
- WAVES – July 9th- Told from the viewpoint of its teenage protagonists, Waves is an emotional and grounded look at how one tragic accident can change a family. With stunning visuals and a powerful score, this film should be seen on the big screen. Starring Kelvin Harrison Jr., Sterling K. Brown, Taylor Russell, Lucas Hedges, Alexa Demie and Renée Elise Goldsberry. Directed by Trey Edward Shults.
- BABYTEETH – July 23rd- Starring some of Australia’s finest talent, including rising star Eliza Scanlan, Toby Wallace, Ben Mendelsohn and Essie Davis. Directed by Shannon Murphy. Premiere Screening details forthcoming. (Trailer)
- THE HIGH NOTE – July 30th- A glamourous comedy that offers the perfect opportunity to get the girls together and enjoy a stylish film set against the dazzling world of the LA music scene. It’s the fun feel good movie female audiences have been waiting for. Starring Dakota Johnson, Tracee Ellis Ross, Ice Cube & Kelvin Harrison Jr. (Trailer)
- THE KING OF STATEN ISLAND – August 6th- From acclaimed writer-director Judd Apatow comes a smart comedy with a lot of heart. Starring Pete Davidson, Marissa Tomei, Steve Buscemi and a very funny supporting cast including Bill Burr, Bel Powley and Maude Apatow. (Trailer)
- NEVER RARELY SOMETIMES ALWAYS – August 6th- currently sitting at a stunning 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, this is for the discerning film-goer and delivers an intimate portrayal of two teenage girls in rural Pennsylvania. Faced with an unintended pregnancy and a lack of local support, Autumn and her cousin Skylar embark on a brave, fraught journey across state lines to New York City. Starring Sidney Flanigan, Talia Ryder. Directed by Eliza Hittman.
- SLIM & I – August 20th- An elegant and intimate portrait of Slim Dusty and his wife, Joy McKean and their musical legacy that to this day continues to entertain and inspire. Directed by Kriv Stenders.
- WHERE’D YOU GO BERNADETTE – August 27th- Acclaimed Director Richard Linklater brings Maria Semple’s best-selling novel to the screen starring Australia’s Cate Blanchett in her Golden Globe award nominated performance. An inspiring comedy about a loving Mom who becomes compelled to reconnect with her creative passion after years of sacrificing herself for her family.
- IRRESISTIBLE – September 3rd – Starring the ever-popular Steve Carrell and Australia’s own Rose Byrne. From writer/director Jon Stewart comes the comedy of a Democrat political consultant (Carell) who helps a retired Marine colonel run for mayor in a small Wisconsin town. This political satire also stars Topher Grace, Debra Messing, Natasha Lyonne, Mackenzie Davis, CJ Wilson, and Will Sasso.
- LET HIM GO – September 10th – Led by the critically acclaimed Kevin Costner and Diane Lane, Let Him Gofollows a retired sheriff and his wife who set out to rescue their grandson from an abusive family. Based on the enthralling novel by Larry Watson, this tense drama asks how far must good people go?
- TROLLS WORLD TOUR – September 17th –Justin Timberlake and Anna Kendrick are back! The Happiest Movie ever made will land in cinemas right in time for the September school holidays. Crowd favourites Poppy and Branch are back to discover their world is about to get a lot bigger and a whole lot louder with six different musical Trolls tribes! (Trailer)
- DIRT MUSIC – Release date TBC –Based on the critically acclaimed novel by iconic Australian writer Tim Winton, Dirt Music is directed by Gregor Jordan and set against the awe-inspiring backdrop of the Australian West. Coming soon.