Published on March 20th, 2023 | by James Wright
UltraGear 48-inch UHD 4K OLED Gaming Monitor Review
Summary: The UltraGear 48-inch UHD 4K OLED Gaming Monitor is a bold option for gamers of all levels
The new UltraGear from LG is their first OLED gaming monitor and has been specifically designed to suit the needs of both next-gen console and PC gamers. Maximising their latest OLED self-lit pixel technology, this gaming monitor delivers a high performance pixel response time and display refresh rate to create a more immersive and visual impressive gaming experience.
UltraGear 48-inch UHD 4K OLED Gaming Monitor Key Features
- 48″ UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) OLED Display
- 1.5 M : 1 Contrast Ratio & HDR10
- Anti-glare & Low reflection
- 4K@120Hz from HDMI 2.1
- 120Hz Variable Refresh Rate (VRR): Achieves up to 120Hz (Overlock 138Hz) to produce smooth images, enabling gamers to see the next frame quickly for a gripping gaming experience.
- DisplayPort connectivity: Enables gaming in the highest resolution possible, delivering 4K UHD support at 60Hz through a single cable.
- 0.1ms response time: Reduces reverse ghosting and enables objects to render clearly so that gamers can enjoy maximum speed during gameplay with smooth movement and fluid visuals.
- Remote Control Support
Once connected to our PC gaming rig and PlayStation 5, we were ready to test the LG UltraGear to determine visuals and of course 4K.
The maximum resolution of this OLED display was 3840 x 2160, so games such as Horizon Forbidden West, Spider-man Miles Morales and Hogwarts Legacy were all visually impressive that boasted vibrant colours, sharp images and depth courtesy of HDR.
Oh as the display supports a 120Hz VRR over HDMI 2.1! This means that both the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 can access 120 frames per second gaming on those titles that support it such as Spider-Man, Control, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Gears of War or Horizon Forbidden West as some of the titles which support this higher frame rate.
While it is a bright display, it also has deep blacks that again made the overall gaming experience a much more immersive and enjoyable one. On the PC, titles such as Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal and The Witcher 3 all looked crisp and clear with a bright colour palette and more importantly the frame rate was very fast.
Compared to non OLED displays, the UltraGear is quite fast in moving graphics around that with its fast response times removes ghosting which can be quite noticeable in some games, particularly racers. It also supports FreeSync for PC gamers that again makes for a smoother and faster gaming experience at a high resolution with reduced tearing and stuttering provided you have a graphics card that has this feature.
Given the clarity of the screen, Windows 11 was super clear on this display and wow with the size of this UltraGear at 48” definitely gives you a large desktop space to work on. So whether that’s photo manipulation in Adobe Photoshop, excel spreadsheets, surfing the net or just general Windows usage, the display is well suited for those looking for a larger than life screen.
Adding to the entertainment experience were streaming services such as Netflix and Disney+ that replicates a cinema-like quality and whether this was Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, the Mandalorian Season 3 or The Witcher Season 2, videos mirrored the quality of gaming and probably more so from an audio perspective. While a sound bar or external speakers still produce better audio than a TV, the UltraGear is no slouch when it comes to sound thanks to its 20watt speakers. However you can connect an external headset to the monitor that gives you access to DTS (Digital Theater Sound).
Like other TV’s from LG, the UltraGear is a well-designed product with accessible ports and an overall modernistic slim design. This means a slim bezel and ultra-thin stand that allows you to focus on your gaming or entertainment experience. In terms of size, the UltraGear measures at 1070.6 x 659.7 x 184.8mm with a weight of just 16.8kg with the stand or 15.5kg without it.
Complementing the design is the menu system which easily allow you to navigate the various settings and features to ensure the best visual experience possible. This is predominantly achieved through the eccentric looking remote control and the TV has a heads up display that displays key statistics, features and even the frame rate. Modes such as FPS or RTS are also great for particular gaming genres.
The UltraGear 48-inch UHD 4K OLED Gaming Monitor is a larger than life display that delivers both performance and exceptional visuals. All in all, it’s a well-designed gaming monitor that will bring both your PC and console games to life.
Check it out!
- Size (Inch) 47.53
- Size (cm) 120.7193 cm
- Resolution 3840 x 2160
- Panel Type OLED
- Aspect Ratio 16:9
- Brightness (Min.) 264 cd/m² (@SDR 25% APL)
- Brightness (Typ.) 330 cd/m² (@SDR 25% APL)
- Colour Gamut (Typ.) DCI-P3 99% (CIE1976)
- Colour Depth (Number of Colours) 1.07B
- Contrast Ratio (Min.) 1,200,000 : 1 @25% APL
- Contrast Ratio (Typ.) 1500000:1
- Response Time 0.1ms (GtG at Faster)
- Refresh Rate (Max.) [Hz] 138 (O/C)
- Viewing Angle (CR≥10) 178º(R/L), 178º(U/D)
- HDR 10 Yes
- HDR Effect Yes
- Colour Calibrated in Factory Yes
- HW Calibration HW Calibration Ready
- Reader Mode YES
- NVIDIA G-Sync™ G-SYNC Compatible
- AMD FreeSync™ FreeSync Premium
- VRR YES
- Black Stabiliser Black Stabiliser
- Dynamic Action Sync Yes
- Crosshair YES
- FPS Counter YES
- OverClocking YES
- User Define Key YES
- RGB LED Lighting Hexagon Lighting
- Smart Energy Saving YES
- Others (Feature) Hexagon Lighting, VESA DSC Tech. DTS HP:X (4-pole H/P Out)
- LG Calibration Studio (True Colour Pro) YES
- OnScreen Control (LG Screen Manager) YES
- HDMI Yes (1×2.1 HDMI, 2x 2.0 HDMI)
- DisplayPort YES (1ea)
- USB Upstream Port Yes (1ea/ver3.0)
- USB Downstream Port YES(2ea/ver3.0)
- SPDIF out (Optical Digital Audio Out) YES
- Headphone Out 4-pole (Sound+Mic)
- Speaker 20W x 2
- DTS HP:X YES
- Type Built-in Power
- AC Input 100~240V (50/60Hz)
- Power Consumption (Typ.) 175W
- Power Consumption (Max.) 253W
- Power Consumption (Sleep Mode) Less than 0.5W
- Power Consumption (DC Off) Less than 0.3W
- Wall Mountable 300 x 200 mm
- Dimension with Stand (W x H x D) 1070.6 x 659.7 x 184.8mm
- Dimension without Stand (W x H x D) 1070.6 x 623.9 x 46.6mm
- Dimension in Shiping (W x H x D) 1285 x 771 x 173mm
- Weight with Stand 16.8kg
- Weight without Stand 15.5kg
- Weight in Shipping 19.3kg