Published on February 6th, 2015 | by admin
Today is Opposition Day #JupiterAscending
February 6, 2015 – On this day, Jupiter reaches opposition to the Sun and the Earth will pass directly between the two… this cosmic event is known as the Opposition of Jupiter! With Jupiter Ascending about to be released on the 19th of February, this event is also the closest Jupiter will be to the planet Earth.
To celebrate the release of Jupiter Ascending and the Opposition of Jupiter, Impulse Gamer can share with you some exclusive artwork from the film that cannot be found anywhere in Australia.
To see more of the production artwork, please visit – http://lookbook.jupiterascending.com/intl/au/
So while we wait for Jupiter Ascending, check out these true facts about Opposition Day and the giant planet Jupiter!
Key Facts about Opposition Day
- 2015’s opposition on February 6 is Jupiter’s closest to the Earth until 2019
- Jupiter comes to opposition approximately every 13 months, which is how long the Earth takes to travel once around the Sun relative to Jupiter
- Jupiter will be within 650 million kilometres of Earth on Opposition Day
- Jupiter ascends at sunset, is highest in the sky at midnight and sets at dawn
- Opposition on February 6 means you can see Jupiter at any time of night. From Sydney, Jupiter will be visible between 20:34 and 05:42, from Melbourne between 21:09 and 05:57, from Perth between 19:50 and 05:07 and Brisbane between 19:13 and 04:48
- The confluence of this alignment of Earth and Jupiter at close proximity, along with the Earth reaching maximum population density, has designated this date as ideal for the beginning of the Harvest
Key Facts about the planet Jupiter
- Jupiter is the largest planet in our Solar System
- It is the fifth planet from our Sun
- More than one thousand Earths could fit inside Jupiter
- Jupiter has at least 67 moons, including the four large moons called the Galilean moons
- The planet’s most well known feature is the Great Red Spot, a persistent anticyclonic storm that is larger than Earth
- Jupiter is a gas giant with a mass two and a half times the mass of all the other planets in the Solar System
Learn more about Opposition Day and the Harvest here: http://cwastronomers.org/
AFTER EXPERIENCING JUPITER IN OPPOSITION… EXPERIENCE JUPITER ASCENDING IN 3D!
Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis star in JUPITER ASCENDING, an original science fiction epic adventure from filmmakers Lana and Andy Wachowski.
Jupiter Jones (Kunis) was born under a night sky, with signs predicting that she was destined for great things. Now grown, Jupiter dreams of the stars but wakes up to the cold reality of a job cleaning other people’s houses and an endless run of bad breaks. Only when Caine (Tatum), a genetically engineered ex-military hunter, arrives on Earth to track her down does Jupiter begin to glimpse the fate that has been waiting for her all along—her genetic signature marks her as next in line for an extraordinary inheritance that could alter the balance of the cosmos.
From the streets of Chicago to far flung galaxies whirling through space, “Jupiter Ascending” is written and directed by the Wachowskis. Award-winning producer Grant Hill, with whom they have collaborated since “The Matrix” Trilogy, is producing, together with Lana Wachowski and Andy Wachowski. Roberto Malerba and Bruce Berman serve as executive producers.
JUPITER ASCENDING 3D is only in cinemas on the February 19, 2015