Published on November 5th, 2022 | by Adrian Gunning
TCL Electronics introduces first Roku TV models to Australia
Today, TCL Electronics, one of the leading players in the global TV industry and a leading consumer electronics company, announced a partnership with streaming pioneer Roku® that will see TCL Roku TV™ sets available in Australia for the first time.
Starting in early November, Australian consumers can purchase 4K UHD TCL Roku TV models in 55- or 65-inch screen sizes.
“Roku TV provides consumers with a seamless smart TV experience, combining an impressive selection of entertainment with unmatched simplicity at a very affordable price point,” says Arthur van Rest, VP, International at Roku. “TCL was one of the first TV manufacturers to embrace Roku TV platform, and we are excited to expand our global partnership by launching in Australia.”
Through its collaborations with TV brands to license the Roku OS, Roku has become a popular smart TV operating system. Around the globe Roku has more than 65.4 million active accounts that streamed more than 21.9 billion hours of TV in Q3 of 2022 alone.
Access thousands of streaming channels
The customisable Roku TV home screen combines live TV, traditional inputs, and streaming channels, allowing consumers to tailor their experience to their viewing habits. Australian Roku TV models include support for Freeview, giving consumers access to all their favourite channels.
With a TCL Roku TV, Australian consumers also get access to the Roku Channel Store, which offers thousands of free and paid streaming channels. At launch, this will include popular global streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV+, Paramount+, and Prime Video, combined with local services like Stan, 9Now, and 7plus with more to follow.
To find out what to watch next, consumers can leverage Roku’s universal search across top channels, with results ranked by price. Roku TV models work with the free Roku mobile app, which can be used as a remote control, for search, and for private listening. To share media from a compatible mobile device to a TCL Roku TV, consumers can use the free Roku mobile app or mirror their screen using Airplay 2.
Smart viewing experience
Jason Carrick, TCL Australia general manager of sales, says the new TCL Roku TV models will provide consumers with an easy, lightning-fast, enhanced viewing experience.
“When considering purchasing a new TV, the operating system it ships with is just as important as its screen size, frame rate, and resolution,” he explained. “TCL Roku TV sets combine TCL’s sophisticated hardware with Roku’s intelligent software that brings compelling content sources together.
Boasting an impressive 8-Star rating* from EECA — the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards Regular — TCL Roku TV sets also use significantly less power to function. This translates to a reduction in electricity bills and overall household costs.
“Consumers have been asking us for years to launch Roku in Australia, so we are very excited to announce this new partnership,” says Carrick.
Signature product features of TCL Roku’s multi-award-winning TV platform
- 4K — the highest video quality currently available for streaming
- Dolby Vision + High Dynamic Range (HDR) — enhances the contrast and colour representation of the existing pixels on your TV to create a more natural viewing environment
- Works with Apple AirPlay — enables people to cast content from compatible smart devices to the TV
- Entertainment hub — equipped with all the latest and popular apps available in Australian market
- Content selection — access to thousands of free and paid streaming channels
- Roku smartphone app — access fun and convenient features like search, virtual remote control, private listening, and even use the keyboard for faster typing
- Automatic software updates — keeps you at the top of the streaming game with the latest features, hottest channels, and more
- 8-Star EECA energy rating — TCL Roku TV® sets use considerably less power to function, reducing household electricity bills in the process
Pricing and availability
RRP: $699 (55”) and $899 (65”)
Available at JB Hi-Fi
* 8-Star is for the 65″ model while the 55″ is rated 7 star