Published on January 8th, 2021 | by Andrew Bistak
Sony announces new BRAVIA XR 8K LED, 4K OLED and 4K LED models with new “Cognitive Processor XR”
Sony today announced the new BRAVIA XR televisions, including the MASTER Series Z9J 8K LED and A90J OLED as well as the A80J OLED, X95J and X90J 4K LED televisions.
Powered by the Cognitive Processor XR, the brain of the new BRAVIA XR, the BRAVIA TVs use a completely new processing method that goes beyond conventional Artificial Intelligence (AI), designed to replicate the ways humans see and hear. When we see objects, we unconsciously focus on certain points. Cognitive Processor XR, powered by cognitive intelligence, knows where that focal point is by dividing the screen into numerous zones and detecting the “focal point” in the picture. While conventional AI can only detect and analyse picture elements like colour, contrast and detail individually, the new processor can cross-analyse an array of elements at once, just as our brains do. By doing so, each element is adjusted to its best final outcome, in conjunction with each other, so everything is synchronised and lifelike – something that conventional AI cannot achieve.
Cognitive Processor XR also analyses sound position in the signal and output to achieve a precise match with the action on screen. In addition, it upconverts any sound to 3D surround sound, to deliver supreme realism with an immersive soundscape. It learns, analyses, and understands unprecedented
amounts of data, and intelligently optimises every pixel, frame and scene for the most lifelike picture and sound Sony has ever delivered.
“Sony’s key objective is to offer customers an incredibly immersive viewing experience by utilising evolving technologies and premium large screens to perfectly deliver the creator’s true intent,” said Aki Hosoda, Head of TV, Sony ANZ. “The new BRAVIA XR TVs take big screen home entertainment to new heights with the introduction of the most advanced processing technology we have ever created.”
Key BRAVIA XR lineup highlights:
- Google TV: This lineup also introduces Google TV, a brand-new entertainment experience that brings together movies, shows, live TV and more from apps and subscriptions, and organizes them just for you. Easily find something to watch with personalised recommendations, and bookmark shows and movies to a single Watchlist to keep track of what to watch. Users can even add to their Watchlist from their phone or laptop with Google Search.
- HDMI 2.1 compatibility: All BRAVIA XR TVs will feature HDMI 2.1 compatibility, including 4K 120fps, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and e-ARC, supporting higher resolutions and frame rates ideal for next-generation gaming.
- Sound-from-Picture Reality™: In addition to best-in-class picture quality, the new Cognitive Processor XR also offers incredible sound with Sound-from-Picture Reality™, which aligns the position of the sound with the images on the screen to offer a uniquely lifelike experience.
- Hands-Free Voice Function: Sony’s voice-activated TVs work alongside Google Assistant to provide a smarter viewing experience. Ask the Assistant to search for the latest blockbuster or stream shows. Have it dim the lights by connecting smart home devices. Manage tasks and see your calendar, or ask it questions and see the answers on your TV.
- Smart Speaker compatibility: With Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa enabled devices, you may cast and control videos from YouTube with Google Nest speakers or change the channel or volume with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa enabled devices.
- Delivering the creator’s intent: The new models will continue to deliver the creator’s intent with Netflix Calibrated Mode, offering studio-quality Netflix content.
 Google TV integrated services are subject to terms and conditions and may change or terminate without notice.
 VRR feature requires firmware update.
 Only for built-in Mic models – Z9J, A90J, A80J, X95J & X90J
 Amazon Alexa enabled devices (sold separately) compatible with Sony’s TV devices. Amazon account required. Subscriptions may be required to access certain content. Sony’s TV and Alexa devices both require internet connection. Not all smart home features are supported via Alexa, please refer to the enabled Alexa skill for a list of supported features. Amazon, Echo, Alexa, and all related logos are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
 Google Nest speakers (sold sep). Requires compatible devices connected to the same wireless home network. Download the Google Home app from the iPhone App Store or Google Play. Subject to third party app terms and conditions. User must link compatible devices in order to control operation. Once download is complete, the Google Home feature may be connected to the Sony device to access the voice control function.