Published on October 24th, 2014 | by admin
Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™ Now Available for Windows PC
Shape the future of humanity on an alien planet in new sci-fi instalment of renowned, turn-based strategy franchise
Join the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #BeyondEarth
Sydney, Australia – October 24, 2014 – 2K and Firaxis Games today announced the award-winning* Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™ is available now worldwide for Windows PC. In Civilization: Beyond Earth players lead an expedition from Earth to a new frontier, enabling them to explore and successfully colonize an alien planet. The game’s storyline ventures into uncharted territory for the franchise as the game propels the evolution of human civilization into the future. Civilization: Beyond Earth will also be available for players on Mac and Linux by Aspyr Media this holiday season.
“Civilization: Beyond Earth is a new science-fiction themed entry to the critically-acclaimed Civilization series,” said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. “Civilization: Beyond Earth showcases Firaxis Games’ commitment to creating high quality strategy games, and challenges players to colonize an alien planet through an intellectually challenging and visually appealing gaming experience.”
“Unlike its predecessors, players are no longer bound by historical context in Civilization: Beyond Earth,” said Sid Meier, Director of Creative Development at Firaxis Games. “The game challenges players to make interesting and fun decisions bringing together future science, technologies and ideologies as you explore mankind’s future on an alien planet.”
In Civilization: Beyond Earth players lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and philosophies, while simultaneously advancing their own leaders, cities and units to reflect their personal choices and style of play. Through an array of new gameplay systems, including nonlinear technological progression and a new virtues tree, there are countless opportunities for players to change the very identity of their faction and the world around them.
Key features of Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth include:
- Seed the Adventure: Players establish a cultural identity, select a leader, and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet;
- Alien World: Players will explore the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, valuable resources and hostile life forms unlike those of Earth, build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people;
- New Technology Web: Players will see technology advancement occur through a series of nonlinear choices affecting mankind’s development. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition;
- New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet and help guide players through a series of side missions, each aiding in the collection of resources, upgrading units and advancing through the game;
- New Orbital Layer: Players build and deploy three types of advanced satellites – military, economic and scientific – that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
Civilization: Beyond Earth is rated “PG” in Australia and New Zealand and is available now on Windows PC for AU$89.95. The game will be launching on Mac and Linux via Aspyr Media this holiday season.
For more information on Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth, please visit www.civilization.com, become a fan on Facebook, follow Civilization on Twitter and subscribe to Civilization on YouTube. To learn more about the game’s availability on Mac or Linux, follow Aspyr Media on Twitter (@AspyrMedia) and Facebook (/AspyrMedia).
*Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth received more than 15 awards at E3 2014, including Destructoid’s “Best of E3: Best PC” and “Best of E3: Best Strategy Game,” Game Critics Award’s “Best Strategy Game,” Game Informer’s “Best PC Exclusive” and “Best Strategy Game,” IGN’s “Best of E3 Best Strategy Game,” Nerdist’s “Editor’s Choice E3 2014,” Polygon’s “Editors’ Choice,” The Escapist’s “Best of E3 2014” and more.
Firaxis Games is a 2K studio. 2K is a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).
All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.