Published on September 4th, 2020 | by Adrian Gunning
Nintendo Marks The 35th Anniversary Of Super Mario Bros. With Games, Products And In-Game Events
Mario has come a long way since jumping on that first Goomba in World 1-1 of the original Super Mario Bros. Now, 35 years since the launch of that game in Japan, he is starring in games new on Nintendo Switch, lending his likeness to brands like LEGO and Monopoly, and there will even be a Super Mario-themed Splatfest in Splatoon 2 .
In a new video presentation released today, Nintendo detailed several games, products and in-game events that are all arriving for the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. This includes games new to the Nintendo Switch family of systems like Super Mario 3D All-Stars, a collection of three Super Mario games of the modern era: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy; Super Mario Bros. 35, a 35-player online battle in the world of the original Super Mario Bros.; and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, an enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World which originally launched on Wii U.
Additionally, the video revealed other Super Mario experiences launching this year, like Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which brings the fun of the Mario Kart series to the real world using the Nintendo Switch system to control a real-life, physical kart; the launch of the classic Super NES game Super Mario All-Stars on Nintendo Switch Online*; and a new Nintendo product called Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros., a mini gaming device inspired by the retro Game & Watch systems that plays the original Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels and Ball games.
The full video presentation can be viewed by visiting https://www.nintendo.com.au/supermario35. Highlights of the video include the following:
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars: Optimised versions of 3D Super Mario games Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy, are coming to Nintendo Switch in one package. In addition to having higher resolutions than their original versions, the games have been optimised for a smooth gameplay experience on Nintendo Switch. Super Mario 3D All-Stars also includes an in-game music-player mode to play the music and songs from all three games. Players can also listen to music on their Nintendo Switch systems when the screen is off. Super Mario 3D All-Stars launches exclusively for the Nintendo Switch family of systems on 18th September with a suggested retail price of AU$$79.95. The package version software is a limited-time only production, and the digital version will be a limited-time only release until the end of March 2021. Super Mario 3D All-Stars is available to pre-order from Nintendo eShop today.
- Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit: Created in partnership by Nintendo and Velan Studios, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit brings the fun of the Mario Kart series into the real world by using a Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite** to race against opponents using a physical kart come to life. The physical kart responds to boosts in-game and in the real world, stops when hit with an item, and can be affected in different ways depending on the race. Players place gates to create a custom course layout in their home, where the only limit is their imagination. Race against Koopalings in Grand Prix unlock skins to customise courses and costumes for Mario and play with up to four players in local multiplayer mode.*** Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, which is available in Mario or Luigi models, launches on 16th October with a suggested retail price of AU$149.95.
- Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.: This new collectable device is inspired by the original Game & Watch systems first released in the 1980s. The original handheld device included a game and could also be used as a watch to tell time. The original Game & Watch series sold more than 43 million worldwide. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. features a modern +Control Pad. In addition to playing classic games Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (released in Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2) and a special version of Ball with a Mario makeover, Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. also functions as a clock, with 35 little touches to discover, including some guest appearances from Mario’s friends and foes. Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. launches on 13th November with a suggested retail price of AU$79.95.
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury: Multiplayer mayhem pounces onto Nintendo Switch! This enhanced version of Super Mario 3D World, which originally launched for Wii U, features co-op gameplay both online* and through local multiplayer in a variety of creative levels. Additional details about what new things this game has to offer will be revealed later. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury launches for Nintendo Switch on 12th February 2021 with a suggested retail price of AU$79.95. New Cat Mario and Cat Peach amiibo will also be released as a double pack (SRP AU$44.95) at the same time as the game.
- Super Mario Bros. 35: Welcome to Super Mario Bros. … with 35 players! In this competitive online battle game, 35 players will compete to be the last Mario standing… or running. Enemies defeated will be sent to other players’ courses, but that also works the other way around! Players can activate special items to try and outpace their opponents. Super Mario Bros. 35 launches 1st October as a digital-only game exclusive to Nintendo Switch Online members*. The game will be playable until 31st March 2021.
- Super Mario All-Stars: The classic Super NES game that includes upgraded versions of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3 with enhanced 16-bit graphics is joining the catalogue of games available with Nintendo Switch Online… in a matter of hours*!
- Super Mario Events: From now until March 2021, there are many events to mark the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.
- From 4:00pm AEST / 6:00pm NZST on 9th September until 4:00pm AEST / 6:00pm NZST on 23rd September, Mario Kart Tour will have a Super Mario Kart Tour event, with special appearances by Mario (SNES) and Donkey Kong Jr. (SNES) from the original Super Mario Kart.****
- A 35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedrun course is coming to Super Mario Maker 2 in November.
- In November and December, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will have an in-game online tournament using Super Mario series fighters, stages and items.
- A Super Mario-themed Splatfest is coming to Splatoon 2 in January 2021. Physical Splatfest T-shirts will be available for purchase on the My Nintendo Store soon. The upcoming Splatfest asks the important question: Which Super Mario power-up do you prefer: supersize with a Super Mushroom or become invincible with a Super Star?
- In March of next year, Super Mario-themed furniture will be available in Animal Crossing: New Horizons.
- Super Mario Products: In addition to events, many different Super Mario-themed products are now available.
- Monopoly Super Mario Celebration from Hasbro is now available at retailers worldwide.
- The LEGO Nintendo Entertainment System set is now available exclusively at LEGO stores, with multiple LEGO Super Mario sets now available at retailers worldwide, including the Adventures with Mario Starter Course.
To keep up-to-date with the latest Super Mario news, check out the official Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary website and official Nintendo Australia Twitter account.
In a new video presentation released today, Nintendo detailed several games, products and in-game events that are all arriving for the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., including Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit, Super Mario Bros. 35 and more.
|Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct||https://youtu.be/pmEhxzbPjCI|
|Super Mario 3D All-Stars is coming September 18th!||https://youtu.be/tXcHqmPI_3k|
|Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit – Coming October 16th!||https://youtu.be/5W_MNv65UMc|
|Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury comes to Nintendo Switch on February 12th, 2021!||https://youtu.be/1LoC9hK_zLo|
|Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. – coming November 13th!||https://youtu.be/DrCI0Z-_o5E|
|Super Mario Bros. 35 – Announcement trailer (Nintendo Switch)||https://youtu.be/AMpi0rTvCuQ|