Published on February 9th, 2023 | by Adrian Gunning
Metroid Prime Remastered Revealed In Latest Nintendo Direct, Available Now For Nintendo Switch
In a new Nintendo Direct video presentation, Metroid Prime Remastered, an HD remaster of the first Metroid Prime, which originally debuted on Nintendo GameCube, was announced for Nintendo Switch. A digital version of Metroid Prime Remastered launches on Nintendo eShop shortly after the presentation, while a physical version will be available in stores on 3rd March.
Nintendo also announced that a growing library of select Game Boy games will join the Nintendo Switch Online service shortly after the presentation, beginning with nine classic titles. The Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack service will receive a growing library of select Game Boy Advance games as well, starting with six classic titles shortly after the presentation.
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, the upcoming sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, also featured prominently in today’s Nintendo Direct. Gameplay footage of Link’s massive adventure included the islands floating above Hyrule, never-before-seen weapons and mysterious vehicles. Plus, the first full gameplay trailer for Pikmin 4 – the newest entry in the series which asks you to overcome obstacles by guiding pint-sized creatures on a strange planet – was revealed. The latest instalment features a Space Dog, Ice Pikmin and a range of new discoveries. Pikmin 4 will land on Nintendo Switch on 21st July 2023.
Other highlights of the video presentation include reveals from Nintendo’s development and publishing partners showcasing the return of several beloved characters and franchises headed to Nintendo Switch. These include PROFESSOR LAYTON and The New World of steam, a new game in the Layton series; Disney Illusion Island, featuring Mickey and Friends in a 2D platformer-adventure; Samba de Amigo: Party Central, the classic rhythm game that has been reborn groovier than ever; Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster, a revival of the Nintendo GameCube RPG classics; Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, the mystery thriller; and the King of All Cosmos’ return in We Love Katamari REROLL+ Royal Reverie.
To view the Nintendo Direct video in its entirety, visit the Nintendo AU YouTube channel.
Some of the highlights revealed in the presentation include:
- Metroid Prime Remastered: The first Metroid Prime has been remastered for Nintendo Switch with HD visuals and enhanced sound. Explore Tallon IV from the perspective of Samus Aran. But beware: There’s more to this alien planet than meets the eye. When hostile creatures attack, fight back with Beams, Missiles, Bombs and more. In addition to remastered visuals, this version adds modern dual-stick controls, allowing you to move around while separately changing your point of view. It’s also the first time this classic game can be played on the go! The digital version of Metroid Prime Remastered launches on Nintendo eShop shortly after the presentation. The physical version of the game will be available in stores on 3rd March.
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: An epic adventure across the land and skies of Hyrule awaits. In this sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, you’ll decide your own path through the sprawling landscapes of Hyrule and the mysterious islands floating in the vast skies above. Can you harness the power of Link’s new abilities to fight back against the malevolent forces that threaten the kingdom? In addition to the standard version, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Collector’s Edition will release on launch day, which includes a physical version of the game, an artbook with concept art, a SteelBook® case, an IconartTM steel poster and a set of four pin badges, with a suggested retail price of AU$189.95. A new amiibo figure of Link from the game will also be available separately that grants access to materials and weapons, as well as a special fabric for Link’s paraglider. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom launches for Nintendo Switch on 12th May. Pre-orders for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- Pikmin 4: Meet Pikmin – the small, plant-like creatures you can grow, pluck, command and also overpower your enemies with during your grand mission on a strange planet. These curious helpers come in different types – fire is no sweat for Red Pikmin, and the new Ice Pikmin can freeze enemies and the environment. Use your Pikmin’s miniature might (and some strategic thinking) as you explore. You get a Space Dog, too: Oatchi can help with things like smashing obstacles and carrying Pikmin throughout your adventure. With the miniscule Pikmin and a capable canine in tow, no challenge is too big or small. Pikmin 4 lands on Nintendo Switch on 21st July. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- Disney Illusion Island: Join Mickey and Friends as they explore the mysterious island of Monoth on a quest to recover three magical books and save its little furry inhabitants, the Hokuns. In this new cooperative 2D platformer-adventure for one to four players*1, you’ll navigate as Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy through a beautifully hand-crafted world. Featuring fully voiced, animated cutscenes and an orchestrated, original score, Disney Illusion Island swings exclusively onto Nintendo Switch on 28th July. Pre-orders begin today on Nintendo eShop.
- OCTOPATH TRAVELER II: The new entry in the OCTOPATH TRAVELER series is just around the corner! Eight new stories await, following eight new travellers, each with their own origins, motivations and unique skills. Which path will you take first? Who will your allies be? And where will your journey lead you? Venture through a new world in OCTOPATH TRAVELER II, launching on Nintendo Switch 24th February. A demo containing the game’s opening hours will be available on Nintendo eShop shortly after the presentation.
- Samba de Amigo: Party Central: Move to the beat and shake your Joy-Con controllers in a new Samba de Amigo game! Compete online in World Party mode*2 or enjoy local multiplayer with a friend*1 to see who has the best moves. Forty songs are included, spanning a multitude of genres from around the world. So, grab those controllers and get shakin’ when Samba de Amigo: Party Central shimmies onto Nintendo Switch this winter.
- Game Boy and Game Boy Advance Games: Game Boy games are being added to Nintendo Switch Online, and on Nintendo Switch, you can play these games anytime, anywhere – just like you could back in the day. You can use Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket or Game Boy Color screen filters to help customise your play style. And, up to two players can play compatible games together locally*1 or online*2 for the first time. Here’s the full list of classic games that will be available at launch, with more games being added in the future:
Launch Line-up of Game Boy – Nintendo Switch Online
- Super Mario Land 2 – 6 Golden Coins
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX
- GARGOYLE’S QUEST
- Game & Watch Gallery 3
- Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
- Metroid II – Return of Samus
- Wario Land 3
- Kirby’s Dream Land
Plus, Game Boy Advance games are being added to Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: Local*1 and online play*2 is supported for compatible games, and up to four players can play together online for the first time. Here are the games that you can play at launch:
Launch Line-up of Game Boy Advance – Nintendo Switch Online
- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
- WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania
- Kuru Kuru Kururin
- Mario Kart: Super Circuit
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
- The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
- Select games will be added to this library in the future, too. You can play Game Boy games with an active Nintendo Switch Online membership, or play both Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games with an active Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership.
- Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp: Calling all strategy fans – join Andy, Max, Sami and more in two full story campaigns, each one filled with colourful turn-based tactical action. Flex your strategic muscles across a multitude of modes. Design your own maps and share them with friends. You can also challenge friends to head-to-head battles online*2, or up to four players locally*1. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp comes to Nintendo Switch on 21st April. Pre-orders begin shortly after the presentation on Nintendo eShop.
- Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon: Experience a new take on the Bayonetta series starring Cereza, a young apprentice witch before she would come to be called Bayonetta. Harness Cereza’s magic and her infernal demon partner Cheshire’s ferocity to travel through a mysterious and dangerous Avalon Forest filled with puzzles and enemies. You’ll control both Cereza and Cheshire at the same time. By obtaining the elemental power of wood, rock, water and fire from the forest, new paths will open and battles can be swayed in your favour. Can Cereza gain the power to save her mother and will Cheshire ever find a way back home? Approachability options such as reducing damage or automating some controls, can help newcomers and Bayonetta fans alike to enjoy Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon when it prowls onto Nintendo Switch on 17th March. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- Omega Strikers: Duke it out in this free-to-play online*3 multiplayer*1 showdown! Smash opponents off the arena and score goals in this lightning-fast 3-v-3 footbrawler. As one of more than 15 Strikers, you’ll sling slime, toss tofu and rocket boost to victory, air hockey style. Omega Strikers slides onto Nintendo Switch 27th April. .
- Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection: A collection of the first three Etrian Odyssey games is coming to Nintendo Switch, remastered in HD. Dive back into the sprawling labyrinth, with a blank map as your only guide. By drawing the map as you explore, you can progress even further, where vicious monsters and treasures await. Twenty-four newly drawn character illustrations are included. Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection launches for Nintendo Switch on 1st June. Each game in the collection will also be available separately on Nintendo eShop. Pre-orders begin shortly after the presentation.
- Sea of Stars: Combine the powers of the sun and moon to fend off evil in this retro-inspired, turn-based RPG. Freely traverse a breath-taking world, meet characters from all walks of life, and devastate foes with well-timed attacks in battle. Sea of Stars sails onto Nintendo Switch 29th August. A free demo will be available on Nintendo eShop shortly after the presentation.
- Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe: A new story will unfold in Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe when Magolor, the interdimensional traveller from the main adventure, loses his powers and must escape the realm between dimensions. You can access this new epilogue after clearing Story Mode. Up to four players on the same console*1 can venture through this mysterious realm together, where there are over 20 stages to explore. Can Magolor restore his powers and safely return to his world? There will also be a Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe demo available on Nintendo eShop shortly after the presentation. Up to four players can play a specially arranged demo with select stages and subgames. Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe launches on Nintendo Switch 24th February. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass Vol. 3 and 4: Enrich your adventures through Aionios with new content.*4 In Vol. 3, join forces with Masha, the newest Hero and a refined Lapidarist. Challenge Battles with roguelike elements are also being added. Add multiple Heroes and unlock special abilities for your party as you play through this challenge battle mode and earn newly added in-game outfits for your main characters. Vol. 3 of the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass launches on 16th February. And coming in Vol. 4 later this year, look forward to an exciting final volume featuring an original story scenario. The Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Expansion Pass, which includes four total volumes that will be released through the end of 2023, is available for purchase now on Nintendo eShop.
- Splatoon 3: Expansion Pass – Inkopolis & Side Order: This paid DLC for Splatoon 3 features two waves of content*5. The first wave includes Inkopolis. You can make this splat-tastic place from the original Splatoon your stomping ground. Wave 1 also includes Inkopolis Plaza, which has changed over the past several years with new some new shopkeepers. The Squid Sisters will perform here during Splatfests, too. In the second wave of this DLC, a new single-player campaign called Side Order super jumps to Splatoon 3. See what’s become of Inkopolis Square, the central area featured in Splatoon 2. The Splatoon 3: Expansion Pass will be available for purchase shortly after the presentation on Nintendo eShop, with Wave 1 launching this autumn. Wave 2, Side Order, will launch in the future. Players will be able to download a content pack that contains bonus in-game items after purchasing the Expansion Pass.
- Fire Emblem Engage Expansion Pass Packs 2-4: New Emblems are coming to future packs of the Fire Emblem Engage Expansion Pass DLC*6. Pack 2 features more newly added Emblems, including Hector, Emblem of Strength; Soren, Emblem of Acumen; and Camilla, Emblem of Revelation, to help the Divine Dragon and their allies in battle. Pack 3 will include its own group of valiant Emblems – Chrom and Robin, Emblem of Bonds, and Veronica, Emblem of Heroes. You’ll be able to tackle additional missions to recruit these Emblems. And in Pack 4, a new story, Fell Xenologue, will be unlocked. The Fire Emblem Engage Expansion Pass, which includes four packs releasing through the end of 2023, is available for purchase now on Nintendo eShop. Pack 2 launches shortly after the presentation.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass Wave 4: Yoshi’s Island, a new course, is zooming in with Wave 4*7. Birdo, who originally hit the track in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, is also being added. Returning characters from the Mario Kart series will be added in future waves. Wave 4 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass DLC races onto Nintendo Switch this autumn. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass includes six separate waves, with eight courses each, which will all be released by the end of 2023. Buy the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass separately on Nintendo eShop or enjoy it for no additional cost as part of a paid Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership.
- Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE: Enter the Mystery Labyrinth in this offbeat puzzle-solving experience. A city of rain is gripped by innumerable unsolved mysteries, under the complete control of a megacorporation. Master Detectives from around the world, each possessing unique powers, must rise to the challenge of uncovering the truth. Play as Yuma, an amnesiac detective-in-training, accompanied by Shinigami, the spirit haunting him, as you delve into the ever-changing realm and get to the heart of the case. Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE launches for Nintendo Switch on 30th June.
- Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania: Dracula’s Castle beckons in this new paid DLC*8 for the roguelite action-platformer Dead Cells. Venture through the castle’s hellish halls and outskirts alongside Richter Belmont and Alucard, leading up to a showdown with Death and Dracula himself. Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania sinks its teeth into Nintendo Switch 6th March. Pre-orders begin on Nintendo eShop shortly after the presentation.
- We Love Katamari REROLL+ Royal Reverie: Run around and collect oodles of objects in this remaster of We Love Katamari. Roll in a classroom, a zoo and space as the pint-sized princely son with orders to restore the twinkle back to the heavens. New features include playing as the young King of All Cosmos in five new challenges and taking photos with the Selfie Camera. We Love Katamari REROLL+ Royal Reverie rolls onto Nintendo Switch 2nd June. Any active Nintendo Switch Online member can play a free Game Trial of Katamari Damacy REROLL beginning 20th February.
- Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective: The time-bending murder mystery Ghost Trick returns in HD. After kicking the bucket and becoming a ghost, you acquire the ability to possess and control objects. Uncover Sissel’s unknown past and help unravel mysteries that occurred that fateful night. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective spirits onto Nintendo Switch this winter.
- Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster: Wings of the Heart take flight once more. A remastered collection of both Baten Kaitos games, originally released on Nintendo GameCube, is coming to Nintendo Switch! These emotional journeys feature a distinct card-based RPG system where split-second decisions edge you closer to victory. What revelations will come to light in the skies above and the lands below? Baten Kaitos I & II HD Remaster soars onto Nintendo Switch this winter.
- Fashion Dreamer: Welcome to Fashion Dreamer, a fashion game where you glam it up and share your creations on your quest to become a stylish influencer. Choose from over 1,400 design options and connect online*2 to expand your friend circle and grow your brand. Got an eye for fashion? Then get styling when Fashion Dreamer debuts exclusively on Nintendo Switch this year.
- DECAPOLICE: Play the role of a futuristic police detective and solve difficult crimes. In this mysterious detective story from Level-5, the developers of the Layton series, you’ll explore a vast open world and experience the fun of deductive reasoning. DECAPOLICE launches for Nintendo Switch this year.
- FANTASY LIFE i: The Girl Who Steals Time: After drifting onto a mysterious island where a bygone civilisation once prospered, you embark on a new life full of adventures. As you develop your island with crafting, quests and combat, you’ll also time travel to the past to uncover secrets and alter history. FANTASY LIFE i: The Girl Who Steals Time launches for Nintendo Switch this year.
- PROFESSOR LAYTON and The New World of steam: In the newest entry in the beloved series, Professor Layton will face new puzzles in a fresh setting. Solve epic riddles as you progress through the story of this puzzle-fantasy adventure. Stay tuned for more details in the future.
- TRON: Identity: Enter a new Grid in this narrative puzzle-adventure set within the TRON universe. Uncover dangerous truths and retrieve what was lost as you navigate through a perilous world. Your decisions and the alliances you forge will actively influence the story, with a multitude of possible outcomes shaped by your actions. The future of the Grid hangs in the balance. TRON: Identity launches first for consoles on Nintendo Switch this April.
- Minecraft Legends: In this new action-strategy game, explore a beautiful land full of diverse life and rich resources. But this paradise is on the brink of destruction – the piglins have arrived, threatening to corrupt the Overworld. Inspire unexpected friends to form valuable alliances and lead them in strategic battles to protect their home. Take the fight to the piglins before their Nether corruption devours the Overworld when Minecraft Legends arrives on Nintendo Switch on 19th April. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- Have a Nice Death: Sharpen your skills (and scythe) for fast-paced hack-’n’-slash combat! Have a Nice Death is a hand-drawn 2D action-roguelike where you assume the role of Death, Founder and CEO of Death Incorporated, the underworld organisation responsible for processing souls in the afterlife. Explore the darkly charming, procedurally generated departments of the corporation’s headquarters to rehabilitate rogue employees who have been snatching up too many souls on Earth. Show them who’s boss with your arsenal of weapons, spells and special skills when Have a Nice Death launches for Nintendo Switch on 22nd March.
Harmony: The Fall of Reverie: In this new narrative experience from DON’T NOD, you’ll play as Polly, an upbeat young woman who can travel between our world and Reverie, a realm where the deities live. When a megacorporation threatens the balance of these two worlds, an apocalypse looms. Using her gift of clairvoyance, Polly must choose which path to take to defend her world and save Reverie. Many branching story paths, along with a riveting soundtrack by Celeste composer Lena Raine, set the stage for your journey. Harmony: The Fall of Reverie launches first for consoles on Nintendo Switch this June.
The Nintendo Direct presentation also featured a montage of upcoming Nintendo Switch games, including Blanc, the poetic tale of a wolf cub and a fawn, which launches on 15th February; Disney Dreamlight Valley – the hybrid life-sim and adventure game featuring Disney and Pixar friends – which is available to play now in Early Access; enjoy a bundle of 10 classic action-packed games with Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection, launching 14th April; the acclaimed action-RPG Tales of Symphonia Remastered returns graphically enhanced on 17th February; and Japan’s most-played baseball game series has a new entry that will captivate you from the first pitch, WBSC eBASEBALL: POWER PROS, launching on Nintendo Switch shortly after the presentation.
During the latest Nintendo Direct, Nintendo unveiled Metroid Prime Remastered for Nintendo Switch – the digital version of which launches on Nintendo eShop after the presentation, with the physical version arriving at retail on 3rd March. Among other announcements, the presentation also featured new gameplay for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Pikmin 4, as well as the news that Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games are joining the line-up of classic games available on Nintendo Switch Online and Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack.