Published on February 21st, 2022 | by Andrew Bistak
Magic: The Gathering announces collaboration with Street Fighter
Magic: The Gathering Secret Lair x Street Fighter™ and February Superdrop Now Available for Preorder for a Limited Time
Wizards of the Coast, a division of Hasbro, Inc (NASDAQ: HAS), today unveiled the roster for its limited-edition Magic: The Gathering Secret Lair x Street Fighter™ drop series, which is now available for preorder. The ultra-collectible, specially curated cards are a Magic: The Gathering crossover with Capcom’s Street Fighter – one of the most influential fighting game franchises of all time celebrating its 35th anniversary this year – depicting eight iconic characters from Street Fighter™ II.
Street Fighter II and its original eight playable characters not only informed the art style for the drop, but they also inspired designers to implement thematically appropriate cards with unique abilities for each character. Chun-Li, one of the most recognisable and beloved Street Fighter characters, has a “multikicker” effect, an homage to Chun-Li’s signature move.
“Street Fighter and Magic: The Gathering come from very different genres, but we’ve both been bringing amazing characters, rich gameplay, and social connections to our fans for decades,” said Mark Heggen, Product Architect at Wizards of the Coast. “We’re lifelong fans of Street Fighter, and this partnership has been a dream come true. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to get back to tuning my absolutely unstoppable Blanka deck.”
In addition to the Secret Lair x Street Fighter drop, Wizards of the Coast today revealed a slate of Magic: The Gathering cards celebrating the recently launched set Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty. The rest of the Superdrop includes:
- Introducing: Kaito Shizuki — Artist Rorubei brings alternative art treatments for Magic: The Gathering’s newest high-tech ninja planeswalker, Kaito Shizuki.
- Kamigawa: The Manga: The Cards — Artist RIYOU KAMEI created cards using art from the official Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty manga.
- Li’l Walkers — Artist UTA NATSUME presents planeswalkers in an adorable Chibi style.
- Pictures of the Floating World — Artists AMAYAGIDO, AOJI MAIKO, Nagano, SHIE NANAHARA, and TOMOHITO created beautiful lands in the style of Ukiyo-e, an iconic style of Japanese art traditionally found in wood block prints and paintings.
- Shades Not Included — Artist Ben Schnuck gives lands the ‘80s-inspired synthwave treatment.
- Showcase: Neon Dynasty — These cards display neon ink foils that sport a fluorescent ink that pops right off the card and features art from artists AI NANAHIRA, ESUTHIO, SENNSU, and ZOUNOSE.
- Special Guest: Yuko Shimizu — Artist Yuko Shimizu is an award-winning Japanese illustrator based out of New York City. She brings her unique mashup of traditional Japanese art and modern concepts.
The time-limited Magic: The Gathering Secret Lair x Street Fighter drop, and all other drops are available now for preorder through March 18. Each drop is available in both traditional foil ($49.99) and non-foil ($39.99) versions of Magic: The Gathering cards.
To learn more about Secret Lair, visit secretlair.wizards.com.