Published on May 27th, 2021 | by Andrew Bistak
DC Announces Never-Before-Seen Publishing Event with BATMAN: THE WORLD
The Dark Knight is taking his war against crime global! This September, DC brings fans a new hardcover anthology, Batman: The World. This 184-page book is a first-of-its-kind publishing event, featuring Batman stories by top creative teams from across the globe, taking place in their home counties.
The Dark Knight Takes His War Against Crime Global in Batman: The World, A Never-Before-Seen Publishing Event from DC
Comic Book Talent from 14 Different Countries Present Their Interpretation of Batman in Stories Unique to Their Cultures
184-Page Hardcover Anthology Available Worldwide Digitally and in Print September 14, 2021
This September, DC takes Batman’s war on crime worldwide in a new hardcover anthology, Batman: The World. This 184-page book is a first-of-its-kind publishing event, featuring Batman stories by top creative teams from across the globe, taking place in their home countries. Batman: The World launches worldwide on Tuesday, September 14, 2021—just in time for Batman Day 2021 (Saturday, September 18, 2021). The complete anthology will be localized to the following international territories: North America, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, the Czech Republic, Russia, Poland, Turkey, Mexico, Brazil, China, Korea, and Japan.
“Batman has grown into a true pop culture icon, known the world over,” said DC publisher and chief creative officer Jim Lee. “Batman: The World is DC’s way of showing fans everywhere that Batman is more than a character; Batman is a phenomenon that transcends languages and borders.”
Kicking off the anthology is a story from the award-winning duo of writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo (Batman: Damned, Joker, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, Batman/Deathblow). In the story titled “Global City,” Batman reflects on his time in Gotham, protecting his city and its inhabitants from all manner of threats. But when he looks beyond the bridges, alleys, and skyscrapers, the Dark Knight realizes that the call for justice knows no borders, as there are wrongs to be righted everywhere. Their story sets off a series of tales chronicling Batman’s past and present, stories told by some of the best-known international voices in comics:
- Mathieu Gabella (writer)/Thierry Martin (artist) – France
- Paco Roca (writer/artist) – Spain
- Alessandro Bilotta (writer)/Nicola Mari (artist) – Italy
- Benjamin von Eckartsberg (writer)/Thomas von Kummant (artist) – Germany
- Stepan Kopriva (writer)/Michal Suchánek (artist) – Czech Republic
- Tomasz Kolodziejczak (writer)/Piotr Kowalski, Brad Simpson (artists) – Poland
- Ertan Ergil (writer)/Ethem Onur Bilgiç (artist) – Turkey
- Alberto Chimal (writer)/Rulo Valdés (artist) – Mexico
- Carlos Estefan (writer)/Pedro Mauro (Artist) – Brazil
- Inpyo Jeon (writer)/Jae-kwang Park, Kim Jung Gi (artists) – Korea)
- Xu Xiaodong, Lu Xiaotong (writers)/Qiu Kun, Yi Nan (artists) – China
- Kirill Kutuzov, Egor Prutov (writers)/Natalia Zaidova (artist) – Russia
- Okadaya Yuichi (writer/artist) – Japan
Each international version of Batman: The World will also feature its own unique cover art by the local creative team. International publishing and distribution partners include Urban Comics (France), ECC Ediciones (Spain), Panini (Italy, Brazil, Germany), CREW (Czech Republic), Azbooka-Atticus (Russia), Egmont Polska (Poland), JBC (Turkey), Editorial Televisa (Mexico, Central America), Sigongsa (Korea), Starfish Media (China), and Shopro (Japan).