Published on December 10th, 2019 | by Andrew Bistak
Battlefield V: Wake Island Map Deploys December 12, Highlighted by New Trailer!
Just in time for the holiday playing season, DICE is bringing back the return of Wake Island, arguably the most popular map in Battlefield franchise history. The beloved map will launch for free on Thursday, December 12, as part of the latest Tides of War update, Chapter 5: War in the Pacific.
Wake Island made its debut as an E3 demo for the original game, Battlefield 1942 back in 2002. Since then, the map has appeared in numerous Battlefield games, including Battlefield 1943, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3 and now, Battlefield V. Mr Battlefield himself, Lars Gustavsson, recently discussed the history of Wake Island in a blog post that can be found here.
Battlefield veterans will get to revisit this iconic map with the same classic layout, but now with the looks, sounds and features of Battlefield V, including the game-changing fortification mechanics. Wake Island will feature both the fast-paced action of Breakthrough mode, and the more traditional Conquest Assault mode. Both gameplay modes are certain to deliver nonstop action as squads set out to conquer their objective.
In celebration of the return of Wake Island, DICE has also released a new trailer that can be viewed here.
To assist soldiers in preparing for battle, the developers themselves compiled a few tips on how to ensure victory on Wake Island, listed below:
- In Breakthrough, attackers get tanks in the first sector, defenders don’t. If you’re attacking, take advantage of this. Also, if you spot defenders hiding in the Hotel, take it down! Defenders can build Fortifications to counter this.
- Attackers can find ways to destroy the Hangar as well. Defenders should set up tank traps as soon as possible to stop the tanks from moving into the Hangar.
- Some of the bunkers can be destroyed, some cannot. Defenders can use the tunnels leading to the bunkers to their advantage by creating a choke point.
- The last sector is the prime target for calling in artillery or rocket Reinforcements. Use them.
- Do not underestimate the small boats! They are fast, nimble, and perfect for flanking.
For more details about the Wake Island map please refer to the blog post here.