Published on August 14th, 2018 | by Admin
AMD Launches World’s Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market
Aug. 13, 2018 — AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) today announced the availability of world’s most powerful desktop processor1, the 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX processor with 32 cores and 64 threads. Designed to power the ultimate computing experiences, 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors are built using 12nm “Zen+” x86 processor architecture and offer the most threads on any desktop processor with the flagship model delivering up to 53% greater performance than the competition’s flagship model1. Second Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors support the most I/O2, and are compatible with existing AMD X399 chipset motherboards via a simple BIOS update, offering builders a broad choice for designing the ultimate high-end desktop or workstation PC.
“We created Ryzen Threadripper processors because we saw an opportunity to deliver unheard-of levels of multithreaded computing for the demanding needs of creators, gamers, and PC enthusiasts in the HEDT market,” said Jim Anderson, senior vice president and general manager, Computing and Graphics Business Group, AMD. “With the 2nd Gen processor family we took that challenge to a whole new level – delivering the biggest, most powerful desktop processor the world has ever seen.”
“AMD reinvigorated the PC market with the launch of Ryzen processors, bringing compelling new choices to buyers of performance PCs”, said Alex Herrera, analyst and author of Jon Peddie Research’s Workstation Report. “Now, with the 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper, AMD is doing the same for professionals, delivering potent new CPU options to serve the hefty performance demands of the workstation market.”
Bigger, More Powerful Performance
AMD WX Series of processors offer class-leading core counts3, featuring the Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 2990WX with 32-core/64-threads and Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 2970WX with 24-core/48-threads. These are the embodiment of pure multi-core processing, purpose-built for prosumers who crave raw computational compute power to dispatch the heaviest workloads.
- 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX delivers up to 53% faster multi-thread performance than the Core i9-7980XE1.
- 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX offers up to 47% more rendering performance for creators than the Core i9-7980XE4.
AMD has enhanced the 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ X Series with higher base and boost clocks offering enthusiasts, creators, gamers, and streamers who demand high performance with a beautiful smooth gaming experience; 16-core/32-thread 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X delivers up to 41% more multi-threaded performance than the Core i9-7900X5.
Better Experience with 2nd Gen Ryzen Feature Set
2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors implement improved AMD SenseMI6 Technology with Precision Boost 2, and Extended Frequency Range 2 (XFR2) delivering the same generational performance uplifts seen on 2nd Gen Ryzen desktop processors. Additional performance and value are delivered for the enthusiast with:
- AMD StoreMI Technology: All X399 platform customers will now have free access to AMD StoreMI Technology enabling configured PCs to load files, games, and applications from a high-capacity hard drive at SSD-like read speeds7.
- Ryzen Master Utility: Like all AMD Ryzen™ processors, 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs are fully unlocked8. With the updated AMD Ryzen Master Utility, AMD has added new features like fast core detection both on die and per-CCX, advanced hardware controls, and simple, one-click workload optimizations.
- Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO)9: A new performance—enhancing feature that allows multi-threaded boost limits to be raised by tapping into extra power delivery headroom in premium motherboards.
Seamless Platform Compatibility
All 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs are supported by a full ecosystem of exciting new motherboards and all existing X399 platforms with a simple BIOS update, with designs already available from top motherboard manufacturers including ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI.
2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Desktop Processors Line-up
|BOOST/ BASE FREQUENCY (GHZ)||L3$ (MB)||TDP (WATTS)||PCIe® Gen 3.0 LANES||RRP||EXPECTED AVAILABILITY|
|AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 2990WX||32/64||4.2/3.0||64||250W||64||AU$2,699/NZ$3069||Aug. 13, 2018|
|AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 2970WX||24/48||4.2/3.0||64||250W||64||AU$1,349/NZ$1529||October 2018|
|AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 2950X||16/32||4.4/3.5||32||180W||64||US$899||Aug. 31, 2018|
|AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ 2920X||12/24||4.3/3.5||32||180W||64||US$649||October 2018|
The 32-core, 64-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX is available today, Aug. 13, 2018, from global retailers and system integrators. The 16-core, 32-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X processor is expected to launch on Aug.31, 2018 and the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX and 2920X models are slated for launch in October 2018. A complete list of participating retailers and launch information can be found at www.AMD.com.
- Learn more about 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors
- Learn more about AMD Wraith cooling solutions
- Become a fan of AMD on Facebook
- Follow AMD on Twitter