Published on August 28th, 2023 | by Andrew Bistak
AMD Introduces New AMD Radeon RX 7000 Series Graphics Cards & Availability of FSR 3
At Gamescom, AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) unveiled new enthusiast-class graphics cards, the AMD Radeon™ RX 7800 XT and Radeon RX 7700 XT. The new graphics cards are optimized to deliver incredibly high-performance, high-refresh 1440p gaming experiences for today’s and tomorrow’s demanding AAA and esports titles. AMD also announced availability of AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3, the next generation of the popular upscaling technology that is designed to offer massive performance boosts in supported games.
Built on the groundbreaking AMD RDNA™ 3 architecture, the new graphics cards provide cutting-edge hardware and software features designed to deliver fully immersive 1440p gameplay at 60+ FPS and significantly better performance-per-dollar compared to the competition across select titles. The AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT and Radeon RX 7700 XT graphics cards also offer 16GB and 12GB of high-speed GDDR6 VRAM, respectively, and up to 50% higher memory bandwidth than the competition for high-resolution gaming. They also support advanced features that take performance and visual fidelity to the next level, including the all-new AMD HYPR-RX technology.
“Gamers today are choosing 1440p displays more than any other display resolution,” said Scott Herkelman, senior vice president and general manager, Graphics Business Unit at AMD. “Today’s high-refresh 1440p displays deliver the incredibly vibrant visuals and smooth, fluid gameplay gamers expect. We’re excited to offer a new class of graphics cards delivering the performance and visual fidelity that allows gamers to elevate their gameplay and truly enjoy today’s and tomorrow’s games the way they were designed to be experienced.”
Powering the Future of 1440p Gaming
The ultimate graphics card for 1440p gaming, the AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT graphics card features 60 AMD RDNA 3 unified compute units and offers 20% more performance-per-dollar on average than the competition1. With 54 AMD RDNA 3 compute units, the AMD Radeon RX 7700 XT graphics card is a 1440p workhorse, also offering 20% more performance-per-dollar on average than the competition2. Both graphics cards provide an excellent upgrade option for gamers using older cards. Key features and capabilities include:
- AMD RDNA 3 Architecture – Features redesigned compute units with unified raytracing and AI accelerators, second-generation AMD Infinity Cache™ technology and second-generation raytracing technology.
- Dedicated AI Acceleration – New AI accelerators are optimized for the latest AI workloads. New AI instructions and increased AI throughput deliver over 2X more performance on average than AMD RDNA 2 architecture3.
- Improved Streaming Quality and Performance – Improved AMD encoders deliver enhanced visual quality when streaming and recording. AMD AI and content adaptive machine learning technology has also been integrated into the AMD Media Framework to enable sharper text when streaming at low bitrates and resolutions.
- Ultra-High Definition Encoding – An encode/decode media engine for the ultimate performance, unlocking new multi-media experiences with full AV1 encode/decode support, wide color gamut and high-dynamic range enhancements4.
- AMD Radiance Display™ Engine – Provides support for DisplayPort 2.1 and HDMI® 2.1a based displays for ultra-high resolutions and high refresh rates for gaming and content creation workloads5. It also features 12-bit HDR and full REC2020 Color Space for incredible color accuracy at up to 8K video playback.
- AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution Technology6 – Now available and upcoming in 300 titles, AMD upscaling technologies provide crisp, high-resolution image quality while boosting framerates in supported games.
|Model||Compute Units||GDDR6||Game Clock (MHz)7||Boost Clock8||Memory Interfaces||Infinity Cache||TBP||Price
|AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT||60||16GB||2124||Up to 2430||256-bit||64 MB (2nd gen)||263W||$499|
|AMD Radeon RX 7700 XT||54||12GB||2171||Up to 2544||192-bit||48 MB (2nd gen)||245W||$449|
Boosting Framerates and Visual Fidelity
AMD also announced availability of the next-generation AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) temporal upscaling technology, AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 3. AMD FSR 3 features frame generation leveraging AMD Fluid Motion Frames technology9 and game motion vector data to dramatically improve FPS. AMD FSR 3 is designed to provide massive performance boosts with incredible image quality in supported games across a wide range of products and platforms, including competitor products and game consoles.
AMD FSR 3 is expected to come to Forspoken by Square Enix and Immortals of Aveum by Ascendant Studios and Electronic Arts in early fall with an additional 10 games expected to add support in the coming months. More information on FSR 3 and the list of upcoming games is available here.
“We’re thrilled for Immortals of Aveum to be one of the first games to feature AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 3 and its Fluid Motion Frames technology,” said Mark Maratea, CTO at Ascendant Studios. “FSR has been an integral part of Immortals at launch, allowing more players to enjoy our fast-paced magic shooter experience across a broader range of hardware configurations. AMD FSR 3 with frame generation boosts our game’s performance that much more, while still maintaining its beautiful visuals.”
New Software Features for Next-Gen Gaming
AMD announced the latest release of the AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition™ application, bringing new performance and feature enhancements to enable next-level gaming experiences. Expected to be available September 6, 2023, this new release features AMD HYPR-RX technology10, which simplifies and manages simultaneous interoperation of AMD Radeon Super Resolution (RSR), AMD Radeon Anti-Lag and AMD Radeon Boost technologies to achieve a performance-stacking effect. AMD HYPR-RX includes the new AMD Radeon Anti-Lag+ technology, which takes responsive gaming to the next level by introducing Anti-Lag on a per-game profile basis, allowing users to minimize input lag.
AMD HYPR-RX and AMD Radeon Anti-Lag+ support AMD Radeon RX 7000 Series graphics.
AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT and Radeon RX 7700 XT graphics cards will be available from leading board partners including ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, Gigabyte, PowerColor, Sapphire, Vastarmor, XFX and Yeston beginning September 6, 2023. AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT graphics cards will also be available from AMD.com beginning September 6, 2023.