Published on May 9th, 2019 | by admin0
18 May til 1 June – A Comic Con for Everyone!
Successful 2018 pilot expands to 3 days packed full of events, workshops, dress-up, stalls and fun at local libraries in Thomastown, Diamond Valley and Watsonia Yarra Plenty Regional Libraries are hosting their biggest and brightest Comic Con yet – comics, dress ups, pop culture, fan clubs, market stalls, video games & much more. So for fans who might be mourning the end of their favourite Marvel franchise, never fear!
Now in its second year, this family-friendly community extravaganza in outer metropolitan Melbourne is running across three locations. Each individual day is its own mini-festival created for, and with, the local community providing diverse, accessible events like:
● Workshops and talks: comic illustrations, Manga drawing and Graphic Novel production
● Augmented reality: Marcomatic exhibition showing painting brought to life
● VR & Gaming: experience some of the latest in Virtual Reality and Video Gaming
● Cosplay: come along in your own Cosplay outfit or learn from the best with make-up demonstrations and costuming workshops
● Selfie-booth: each library will offer a Comic Con themed booth
● Stalls and marketplace: shop and browse comics, zines and pop culture paraphernalia from a
range of stall holders
● Fan clubs: mingle with other like-minded comic, gaming and pop culture fans
● Much more: Harry Potter craft, Lightsaber fighting, board games, become a Lego Master , and plenty more to entertain families and fans
Yarra Plenty Regional Library is one of the state’s leading municipal libraries, creating a vibrant, outer-suburban hub for learning and cultural events. With more than 1.5 million visits to their libraries in 2017/18 and nearly 200,000 people attending local programs that same year, these spaces are so much more than a quiet reading room – they are vibrant 21st century libraries embedded in
and serving their diverse community as Melbourne grows.
New CEO of Yarra Plenty Regional Library, Jane Cowell says of Comic Con 2019: “Comic Con celebrates creativity, imagination and play. The library is the ideal arena for such an event. Libraries provide the space, information, tools, and opportunity for anyone to dive in and explore their passion. Reading a comic is just as important as reading a classic work. We encourage reading whatever the
genre, comics or the classics to connecting people to their story and to learning.”
For more information, please visit https://www.yprl.vic.gov.au/comic-con-yprl/