20,000 attendees to morph CBD into Australia‘s capital of anime, video games and costumes
HBO’s hit TV series Game of Thrones will make a big impact on costumes at this year’s Adelaide Anime and Video Game Convention (AVCon), which is running in the city’s CBD from July 12-14, 2013.
The largest event of its kind in Australia, AVCon expects to welcome as many as 20,000 attendees by reserving every square centimetre of The Adelaide Convention Centre for the three-day extravaganza. Last year, 17,500 attended AVCon, up from 14,500 in 2011.
To entertain these devoted fans, AVCon has attracted an international line-up of celebrated performers:
- Jessica Nigri, international cosplay model and star, will offer insight on how attendees can create a career out of costumes. Jessica Nigri Fan Page; https://www.facebook.com/OfficialJessicaNigri?fref=ts
- Spike Spencer, Anime Voice Actor extraordinaire is set to teach AVConites the skills and path needed to make it in the industry of cartoons. IMDB; http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0818111/
- Chris Cason, Video Game and Anime Voice Actor to entertain and enlighten the world of Video Games and Anime from behind the scenes! Wiki Dedication; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Cason
However, the heart of AVCon is its legion of passionate fans whose creative costumes celebrate Anime, Video Games and Costume Play (cosplay). These fabulous fans dedicate themselves to a year of video game practice, costume creation and pop culture watching to show off their skills at AVCon.
AVCon 2013 Convenor Tom Birdseye said this year’s event would be the biggest AVCon ever. “We have more events; competitions, prizes, giveaways, panels, video games, anime screenings and audience interaction than ever before!’ he said. “We’re expecting some wild costumes this year, with a large clan of Games of Thrones fans. As the anime and video game audience grows worldwide, we’ll give the fans exactly what they want. AVCon is, and will always be, by the fans for the fans.’
Beginning in 2002 with just 200 attendees in the Adelaide University Union Building, AVCon now boasts an expected 20,000 attendee who will occupy the entire Adelaide Convention Centre.
AVCon is not Big Bang boys club. Statistics show that 60 per cent of attendees from previous AVCons are female. Two thirds of attendees dress in costume for the event. One in 10 AVCon attendees travels from interstate.
Photo/Film Op- The world of video games and anime portrayed by Adelaidians.
- A montage of AVCon 2012 can be viewed here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFmXSEgjc8c
- AVCon 2013 Television Ad; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5iS51uQCas
- To interact with AVCon you can find our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/TeamAVCon
- Twitter- https://twitter.com/TeamAVCon
- Instagram- http://instagram.com/teamavcon, #avcon2013