"Protect your Children and Your Privacy Online!"
Net Nanny 5 is the latest internet filtering software that protects your children from the dangers of the internet and is also ideal for businesses who wish to limit the way their staff access the internet.
The installation of Net Nanny 5 was extremely easy and took under a minute to install the software on the system. The only downside to the installation was that it required you to reboot your computer without giving you the option to cancel.
After the reboot was complete, a configuration window appeared for Net Nanny that allowed you to finish installing the software. Net Nanny then prompted you to setup a user account for your computer. The standard account called "Anybody" has a number of options that include;
- Web Site Blocking Level (Allows you restrict web sites on a range of 1 - 4, e.g. Level 3 blocks all web sites except family friendly ones)
- Blocking Options (Allows you to block cookies and manually add web sites)
- Filtering (Filters certain phrases on the Web, IRC, Newsgroups and Plain Text messages)
- Applications (Allows you block certain applications such as IRC Chat rooms and file trading)
- Time Limits (Limit daily internet access for users)
Net Nanny 5 is a memory resident program that blocks all unwanted internet content from being show on your computer. Once the software was installed, I set the account level to 2 and tried to do a search on google for an obscene word. The result came back as a blank page with the word hashed out.
When trying to access web pages that contained adult content, the page came back as "This Content is Blocked by Net Nanny" and prevented any access to the page. The program also allowed for an additional filtering system that lets you add your own phrases and words that may be blocked on search engines.